A popular wedding venue.
The present church was built in 1821 replacing an older church known as The Blessed Virgin. This medieval church or chapel was located on the same site now occupied by the present church. It was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin.
Formerly a Church of Scotland centre of worship, now owned by Glenisla Church Trust, which continues its use as a religious centre for Glenisla.
Located at the west end of the Kirkton of Glenisla, on the B951, this small Gothic, B-listed church sits in a graveyard much older than the current structure. It was built in coursed rubble, with ashlar surrounds and corner stones (quoins). The roofs are slated.
The church was gifted to the Abbey of Cambuskenneth by King William the Lion and it is mentioned in tax records of 1275. It was in the diocese of Brechin. The patronage of the church transferred to the Abbey of Coupar Angus in 1311.
A mention of Glenisla Kirk is also made in a History of Banff Estate by George Halliburton in 1627.
After numerous repairs and renovations in the 17th and 18th century, the church was deemed beyond repair and was replaced by the current parish church, which was built in 1821.
The church today is a very simple building with a seating capacity which has been reduced from its original capacity to the present one hundred and seventy seats.
Glenisla Kirk was closed by the Church of Scotland in May 2013 and was purchased and placed within a charity so that it can be managed independently by Glenisla residents for the future use of all those who value its place within this beautiful Glen.
The church has recently undergone extensive repairs by The Trustees to sort dry rot problems throughout the building.
Glenisla Kirk holds locally run informal evening services on the 1st Sunday of the month (Apr - Dec), at 6.30pm and a Watch Night Service on Christmas Eve at 11.30pm. All are very welcome.
Bookings for Weddings and Funerals are welcome with Glenisla Hall and Glenisla Hotel being well placed to assist with these functions.