Producing flax and tow with cutting edge machinery.
Bramblebank was built in 1833 by Mr. David Rattray. It was driven originally by a condensing engine and by a turbine. In 1876 it employed 100 workers and produced flax and tow for Fife and the Forfar trade.
In 1903 the mill was closed and its machinery transferred to Westfield Mill which was being rebuilt. This meant that the whole water-power of the river Ericht could be obtained to drive this machinery at Westfield Mill whereas previously Bramblebank had had to share its weir with Ashbank Mill on the other side of the river.
Sources: Peter Dawson, Meg Luckins
During 1948 – 49, Thomas Thomson (Blairgowrie ) Ltd. fitted Bramblebank out with the latest types of flax spinning machinery. Each row of spinning machines had its own driving shaft and electric motor driven by the hydro-electric power brought from Westfield Works. Once it started production in 1950, it contained the following number and types of machines :-
3 heckling machines
1 breaker card
3 finisher cards
11 drawing frames
4 roving frames
9 double-sided spinning frames
1 single sided spinning frame
2 spool winding machines
1 cop winding machine
The mill recommenced production some time in 1950 but not for long. It ceased operations in 1963 when a shortage of labour necessitated concentrating production in the other three mills owned by the company (Keathbank, Brooklinn and Ashgrove).
The buildings at Bramblebank have been used as storage by the owners - Thomas Thomson [Blairgowrie] Ltd – who now operate a fruit growing business in the surrounding fields.